About

I am currently living in Lexington, VA. This is a blog of my travels. Previous posts were of my visits to Europe and my work aboard a small cruise ship.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thousand Islands

The Thousand Islands region of Lake Ontario is a archipelago of over a thousand tiny islands that serves as a summer vacation spot for millions of Canadians and Americans. It is referred to as "the fresh water boating capitol of the world," and yes, thousand island dressing was invented here.


I was on duty as we steamed through the area, so I was only able to take pictures of the castles.This is Singer Castle.


The Powerhouse of Boldt Castle.


Boldt Castle.


When we arrived in Kingston, Ontario for the night, we were greeted by a rifle salute and the town crier. Apparently the Grande Mariner is one of the largest passenger ships to ever arrive there.


A night shot of one of the three Martello towers built to protect the city of Kingston.